My Dining Room Revealed

When we moved into our house 1 year ago, I couldn't wait to get my dining room finished. After living in a super tiny, yet fantastic one-bedroom apartment for the past 3 years I felt an embarrassment of riches with all of the new space I had.

I promised everyone I knew, specifically my mother and mother-in-law that now that I had a dishwasher I would learn to cook...

But first I needed the perfect table!

Ryan and I knew we wanted something simple and traditional. I have a habit of trying to buy everything "interesting" but when every piece is a standout, the overall room becomes more chaotic and less special.

Therefore, as much as I would have loved to buy a rustic table reclaimed from a barn, or a fabulous french cafe table complete with carerra marble on top, iron legs, and black tulip chairs (okay I've thought about this once or twice)...I decided to go with a traditional aka safe choice.

I really did fall in love with our table from Potterybarn:


And I am still patiently waiting for these tufted nail head trim chairs:

At $329 a chair, if I saved $1 a day...a set of 6 would be mine in 5 1/2 years :)

Have I mentioned my love affair with nail head trim? Oh well I'll talk more about that later...after all we did just meet!

I knew I wanted to bring real bold graphic elements into my dining room. I totally had my heart set on this Kelly Wearstler Imperial Trellis Wallpaper:

Bungalo8

While I still would give my left arm for one roll of this wallpaper...I decided to try a different approach. My dining room flows right into my living room, which already has the graphic tile print pillows:

Potterybarn
So instead, I painted the top half of my dining room with Restoration Hardware's Charcoal colored paint, and the bottom half Benjamin Moore's Chantilly Lace.

I kept the window treatments simple and light with these ivory opaque linen panels from West Elm:

West Elm
After purchasing 4 medium-sized white frames from Target, I went out and bought craft paper from Michael's; Paper Source in bold prints.

Here are some of my favorites:




The hardest part of the whole project was to make sure the frames were perfectly lined up. But I think it came out great.

Here's how my dining room has progressed over the past year: (This proves good design does not happen over night, it's a process of finding your voice)

September 2009: Don't you love the previous owner's staging techniques? :)

November 2009: I added some beautiful chocolate velvet curtains...but they were too dark!


December 2009: I thought I needed something graphic, so I added these medallion curtains:


But as the rest of my house was shaping up, I realized this raspberry and chocolate color palette was what I would have had in my apartment, but wasn't what I wanted in my new house.

Current Day:




What I love most, is that with this bold yet simple backdrop I can swap out the graphic elements, including the paper...and even my table linens when I grow tired of one look.

I haven't given up on my Imperial Trellis dream...maybe one day in my office?

And don't worry the medallion curtains found a home in my upstairs guest room (I'll post reveal pics soon)...and the Chocolate Velvet are for sale :) Anyone interested?

Where to buy:
Modern Light Fixture: West Elm
Oversized Chrome Curtain Rods: West Elm
Table Runner: Crate & Barrel
Candlesticks & Candles: Potterybarn
Glass Container & Lemons: Potterybarn
Espresso Microsuede Chairs: My mom got me these awesome chairs from WALMART! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT??? She bought them for my basement card table (a later post...let's just say it consists of 1 fabulous table almost 100 years old, my parents, some stain, etc.)...but until I save up for my nail head trip beauties (see my comment above) these will do just brilliantly!

Ciao!
 

Search This Blog

Labels

Most Reading

arts, entertainment, business, computer, technology, game, home, home design, cosplay, forex, forex news, house, real estate, relationships, travel, leisure, automotive, car, health, home improvement, news, society, food, drinking, insurance, animal, education arts, entertainment, business, computer, technology, game, home, home design, cosplay, forex, forex news, house, real estate, relationships, travel, leisure, automotive, car, health, home improvement, news, society, food, drinking, insurance, animal, education